We all, well at least, everyone who drives, have felt that second of irrational panic when the “engine fault” light on the dashboard suddenly lights up. It is, of course, recommended that you drop your car off at a service station as soon as possible, as in most cases you have no way to know where exactly the fault lies. Until now. With the Torque app for Android, checking fault codes is just one of the MANY things you can do.
Apart from the application, you will need an OBD2 Bluetooth adapter which plugs into your car’s diagnostics socket. The OBD2 standard (On-Board Diagnostics) is found in most cars manufactured after 2000, but you should definitely check your vehicle information first. The Bluetooth adapter, once plugged into the socket connected to the ECU (Engine Control Unit), will then pair with your Android device, allowing you to access the many features provided by the app.
[styledbox type=”general” align=”center”][reveal align=”center” color=”grey” title=”Features” ]
While We love driving, we won’t even pretend to understand half of the extensive features this auto tuning application provides. That being said, here are a list of some that would be useful for everyone.
- and torque gauges
- 0-60mph (0-100 kmph) speed timings
- CO2 emission readouts
- Extensive fault code database of various manufacturers
- Alarms and warnings
- Mileage (miles per gallon) information
- And more importantly
- the ability to share screenshots on Facebook
- and Google+
Usage / Limitations
- Some features are limited to particular vehicle types. For example
- a Turbo Boost feature is supported by cars that have MAP and MAF sensors such some VW and Audi cars.
- Should be compatible with an extensive manufacturer list which can be found in the app description but feature availability may vary depending on your particular vehicle’s ECU.
- A list of Bluetooth adapters can be found here
- with obviously the more expensive adapters recommended. There is a $20 Chinese adapter found on Ebay/Amazon
- but the developer suggests avoiding it as the chance of it working is entirely dependent on your luck.
[styledbox type=”general” align=”center”][reveal align=”center” color=”grey” title=”Image Gallery” ]
[postgallery_grid content=”textimage” lightbox=”yes” attached_id=”11766″ id=”0″ imgheight=”120″ imgwidth=”200″ align=”aligncenter” /]
[styledbox type=”general” align=”center”][reveal align=”center” color=”grey” title=”Download and Installation” ]
To download and install this application, use:
[styledbox type=”information” width=”250″ align=”center”]Available for Android 1.5 +[/styledbox]