More and more are technologies part of our life, and apps that facilitate the interaction between our computer, tablet and our Android smartphone have gained a significant role in that evolution. One of the apps that quickens this interaction is MightyText, an app that has as main function sending and receiving messages through our PC or tablet.
The installation is fairly easy, for that you must go to the following site http://mightytext.net/install, it has the steps and information required to install it. As it can be seen in that guide, first we must install the app on our smartphone and next we can use MightyText as a webpage on our PC, or if you want a bigger integration between both devices, you must install an extension for your browser, (Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera), so you can receive every notification from you smartphone on your Windows or MAC computer. On a tablet the procedure is similar, just install the app on the smartphone and on the tablet, as it can be seen on the installation guide on the following link http://mightytext.net/install#tabinstallwrap. For the synchronization to work it’s required to add the same Google account on all of them.
Besides receiving and sending messages, there’s a wide range of functionalities that we can use after installing the app.
- Sending and receiving SMS and MMS through our computer or tablet using our mobile phone number (every message on our smartphone will be synchronized by the app);
- Call one of our contacts through the PC using the smartphone.
- Receiving notifications of any app on the computer, being possible to clean any notification from the PC.
- Synchronize every photograph and video made by the smartphone;
- Warnings and battery state from the smartphone.
- Sending webpages, maps and photographs to our smartphone;
- Sending messages directly from Gmail (it requires the browser extension);
- Several visualization modes for the conversations.
- Edit photographs;
- Schedule message sending (only on MightyText Pro);
- Themes (only on MightyText Pro);
- SMS Templates (only on MightyText Pro);
All of these functions are available on the left side bar on our PC or tablet screen. On the messages main menu we can see every existent conversation on our smartphone, having two view modes, the classic view and the power view. On the classic view we have a side bar on the left side, here we choose which conversation we want to open, on the power view several conversations are displayed in small windows laid in a grid. On the upper right side of each conversation there are four icons that serve to invite contacts to the conversation, make a call through the smartphone, update the conversation and delete the contact’s messages. On the bottom of the conversation window there are more functionalities such as attach files, scheduling a message, add emojis, etc.
On the second tab of the side bar its photos/videos, on which we can see every photograph and video made by our smartphone, or those sent through MMS by our contacts. MightyText also allows us to edit, share, sent through MMS, save on the PC or delete every photograph existent on the tab.
On the fifth tab it’s the phone, here we can use the dial to make calls from our smartphone without having to unlock it. Beyond that, on this tab we can access a list with all the apps installed on the smartphone, being possible from this menu to save or block notifications from apps, as also uninstall them.
On the category contacts we have access to our telephone book where we can send messages or call a contact. And for the MightyText Pro users there’s still the possibility to create contact lists for an easiest navigation, because there’s no search bar.
On the last tab its settings, where we can access the app’s settings. This tab is divided in several categories:
- General: Applications general settings, where, for example, it’s possible set the messages period of synchronization.
- Notifications: Here we can access all of the notifications settings, such as set the time during a notification will show on the PC’s screen.
- Themes (Pro): Possibility in choosing different themes to alter the apps general aspect.
- Templates (Pro): On this menu we can create predetermined messages for quick answers.
- Blocked Numbers (Pro): Allows us to block the synchronization of messages from specific contacts
- Usage: Statistical data of the apps usage, such as the number of messages sent through MightyText.
- Referrals: On this menu it’s possible to access a link to share with our contacts, for each contact that installs the app through our link we receive credits that can be used to obtain the paid version of the app.
This app is without a doubt an excellent addition to our smartphone, tablet and PC, since it increases our daily level of comfort. For example, imagine that you’re sat down using your computer and that you left your smartphone out of reach, with this app you can continue receiving and sending messages, furthermore you can do it with a physical keyboard, which for many can be an important factor. Besides that, any notification received on your smartphone will show up on your PC screen, and every photograph and videos of your smartphone can be easily saved on your computer, making easier the backup of all of those files.
Performance and battery consumption
Performance wise, no change was noted on the performance of the device. The same can be said about the battery, no change regarding time and battery life was noted while using this app.
MightyText is without a doubt an excellent app that fulfils what it promise’s in a exemplary manner, opening the an important door in the connection between our devices. This way I advise every person who uses regularly a computer or a tablet to install this app, because sooner or later the need to use its functionalities will arise.
Note: Review made by Pedro Silva in android-emotions.pt and translated by João Paulo Carvalho