Every single time we change an Android’s kernel, ROM, or proceed to make other types of customizations, we take the risk of losing the information stored on the device. So, despite following all tutorials instructions, there’s always the chance of something goes wrong, and all the information on the Android here including all required data to its normal function may be lost.
In order to avoid such nuisances, one can back up the entire device. And that’s what we are going to teach in this tutorial.
This kind of backup should be performed before installing a ROM or before making any unofficial update. The best way to proceed the backup is using a modified Recovery, as the ClockWorkMod, on which we will base ourselves throughout this tutorial.
With this recovery, you can back up the device’s current ROM back if something goes wrong, avoiding your cell phone or tablet to become an expensive paperweight.
To proceed the backup and restore it, all you have to do is to follow the tutorial below.
Backing up and restoring with ClockWorkMod Recovery
- First of all, we should root the device, since the ClockWorkMod can only be installed on an rooted device.
- After rooting the equipment and having its compatibility confirmed, we go on PlayStore to look for ROM Manager.
- Install the abovementioned app and open it.
- Select the “Flash ClockWorkMod Recovery” option.
- When the process is over, we only have to press the “Backup current ROM” button and follow all the steps.
- The backup will be finished right after the rebooting is over.
- Now, if a problem with the customization comes up, and we want to reuse the old ROM, all we have to do is to open the app and choose “Manage and Restore Backup” option and then “Restore”.
- The device will return to the version prior to the backup.
There are other apps which allow you to back up more information from your Android device, as SMS messages and the call record. In the next days we’ll teach you how to do it.
Note: Tutorial made by João Mateus in android-emotions.pt and translated by Anderson Antunes.